Bank Account Assistance
Having an Australian bank account will ensure that you have easy access to your money to pay for your accommodation, tuition fees and living expenses, and will allow your employer to deposit pay into your account if you choose to work.
Opening a Bank Account In Australia
Moving to Australia can be a very busy time, so it is best to organize your account before you arrive so you can access your money straight away.
The process is usually as follows:
- Most banks will allow you to apply to open an account through their website using an online application form. You will need to supply your passport details when you apply.
- When your application has been processed and approved, you will be notified and given the details of your new account so that you can transfer money.
- Once you arrive in Australia, you will need to go into your bank and show them your passport so that you can access your money. At this time, you will also receive a debit card linked to your account and can register for telephone and internet banking.
- If you would prefer to wait until you are in Australia before opening a bank account, you should do so within six weeks of arrival. You will need to visit a bank to provide staff with your details and show them your passport as proof of identity. They will then send you an account card in the mail.
- As an international student, many banks will offer you a special student account that does not charge monthly account fees. You may also be allocated an international student banker who you can contact with any queries, and many banks will try to find a banker who speaks your language.
Ten Things to Look for When Selecting the Bank in Australia
- Are there any application fees?
- Can you open an online savings account before you arrive so you can earn interest on the funds you send to Australia?
- Are you provided with a personal banker? If so, does your banker speak your language?
- Are you eligible for a student account that does not charge monthly account fees?
- Is there a minimum opening deposit required at the time of opening an account and a minimum balance you are required to maintain?
- Can you transfer money to Australia with your foreign exchange provider of choice when setting up an account?
- Does the account include a Visa or MasterCard debit card at no extra cost, so you can shop online with your own money?
- Does your bank have a national network of branches?
- Does your bank have a large number of ATMs?
- Do the bank’s ATMs provide access in multiple languages?
Information on Setting up a Student Account
We can help you open your Australian Bank Account.
For Bank Account Assistance, please speak to the Student Services Team.
Contact email and phone number for student support services; firstname.lastname@example.org;
+61 2 8937 0991 (Sydney) +61 3 9077 0758 (Melbourne)